The Miso Book
by Jan & John Belleme
The Miso Book is a comprehensive guide to this most delicious and healthy food. Part one begins with a chapter on miso basics ~ the different types, uses, and various manufacturing methods. A powerful chapter called “Miso Medicine” details this superfood’s healing properties and its role in maintaining good health, along with eye-opening evidence supporting these claims. As an added bonus, Part One offers easy directions for making miso at home. Rounding out this section are a number of fascinating insets, including Jan and John’s personal adventures in Japan, where they lived and worked with a traditional miso master.
Part two is an extensive recipe section that presents over 140 delectable, healthful recipes in which miso is used in dips and spreads, soups and stews, vegetable dishes and so
1110 ....192 Pages......$15.95
ORDER ONLINE HERE >
Miso ~ a wondrous food and powerful natural medicine.
Whether you are a health-conscious cook in search of healthful foods or you simply are looking for a delicious new take on old favorites, The Miso Book may be just what the doctor ordered!
Jan and John Belleme are the country’s leading authority on the subject of miso and other traditional foods of Japan. After living in Japan, where they learned the craft of miso-making firsthand, the Belleme’s have researched the culinary and medicinal qualities of miso and other Japanese foods for decades. In 1979, they co-founded the American Miso Company, one of the world’s largest producers of traditional miso. They have written four books and over one hundred articles on Japanese foods. Currently, the Belleme’s are involved with A Taste of Health, a nonprofit organization that promotes the use of natural foods through education. They live in Saluda, North Carolina.
Cookbook Sampler Recipe
Sampler recipe from The Miso Cookbook
Jan & John Belleme
Yield: About 2½ cups
Azuki beans have long been highly regarded in Japan for their rich nutritional and strengthening qualities. They are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and protein, and they are easier to digest than most beans. Although soaking reduces their cooking time, it isn't necessary. In addition to being a delicious spread for sandwiches and crackers, this recipe makes a wonderful mild filling for Mexican favorites like tacos and burritos.
1 cup dried azuki beans
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon shoyu or tamari
2 teaspoons red, brown rice, or barley miso
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons minced parsley
1. Rinse the beans with cold water, drain, and place in a 3-quart-pot. Add the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 11/2 hours, or until the azukis are tender. Add more water if needed.
2. Stir in the salt, and simmer uncovered 15 to 20 minutes more. Drain the beans, reserving any cooking liquid, and set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft and thoroughly cooked, but not browned.
4. Add the drained beans and saute another 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in the shoyu and 1/3 cup of the reserved broth. While stirring, partially mash the beans.
5. Combine the miso and lemon juice, and add it to the bean mixture. If the spread is too dry, add a little more broth. Add the parsley and cook another minute.
6. Use immediately or allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerated in a covered container, the spread will keep for about five days.
For a spicier taste, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of cumin to the sauteing onions and garlic.
Miso Master® Organic Miso
2 year miso. Made in USA!
Item #002 ~ 1lb
ORDER MISO HERE >
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Whole Foods Pantry
Kitchen & Cookware
Connect with us!
Natural Lifestyle is a proud sponsor of the annual Organicfest!
Thank-you for shopping with us and enjoy your order!
Fast, friendly service for 26 years! Toll Free Order Line 800.752.2775
© Natural Lifestyle Organic Market 2015 All rights reserved