Vegan Pumpkin Pie
This pumpkin pie recipe is different than the usual. In place of pumpkin, I use sweet winter squash such as butternut or buttercup as they are naturally sweeter than pumpkin. I also use organic apple juice for the liquid as this adds a nice natural sweetness .
The Crispy Brown Rice Crust is super easy and quicker to prepare than a rolled crust. Or you can use a pre baked crust.
© Chef Tom’s Recipes can not be reprinted without permission. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Crispy Brown Rice Crust
• 1 cup organic almonds, blended
• 3 cups organic Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
• 1 Tlb organic safflower, sunflower or sesame oil
•1/3 cup organic apple juice
Pumpkin Pie Filling
• 4 cups cooked organic winter squash*
• 2 cups organic apple juice,
organic vanilla soymilk or water
• 2 Tlbs agar flakes
• 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
• 1/4 cup organic barley malt
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp nutmeg
• 1/8 tsp cloves
* about 4 pounds of winter squash uncooked
• Roast almonds lightly before blending
• Instead of baking squash you can pressure cook squash for 15 minutes or steam until soft.
• Use a pre-baked crust in place of Crispy Brown Rice Crust. Prepare filling and pour into baked crust, cool until thickened and enjoy!
1.Cut squash in half, clean out seeds, and oil the cut side lightly and lay face down in baking pan. Bake squash in 400 degree oven for about 60 minutes or until soft to touch.
2. Prepare crust, blend almonds into small crumbs and pour into small mixing bowl. Blend Crispy Brown Rice Cereal into small crumbs and pour in bowl with almonds. Add oil and apple juice into almond and cereal mixture and mix together with your hands until most clumps are gone. Press crust into into a 9 inch pie pan smoothing over the bottom and up the edges of the pan. (The crust mixture is crumbly.)
3. For filling, place apple juice (or other liguids of your choice.) in small pan with agar flakes. Place on medium heat and bring to a boil and stir until flakes are dissolved which takes a couple of minutes.
4. Scoop cooked squash out of the skin and place 4 cups of squash into blender. Add maple syrup, barley malt, spices and agar liquid. Blend until creamy smooth. If too thick to blend (some squashes are dryer than others) add just enough extra liquid to blend.
5. Pour into crust, smooth to edges a and cool until thickened in or out of refrigerator.
This photo is Tom’s Pie with a Pre Baked Crust
Copyright 2012 Organic Matters Media All rights reserved
Organic Matters Media | 828.337.6114 |